Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Facial Trauma

I've never really thought about this. As long as I've known, the only type of nasal surgery there was was Rhinoplasty. I have heard of cases where people would get surgery to fix birth defects (like a cleft lip) or anything life threatening, even surgery to correct deformities after tragic incidents like car accidents or sports injuries and stuff. But the latter usually happens right after the incident. These fractures get corrected fast because since they're physical they become obvious early on.

While checking out the list of surgeons my ortho gave me, it appears quite a few of them perform procedures for facial trauma. And I thought about this...this is what I would need instead of Rhinoplasty. I'm not getting my nose corrected because I don't like how it looks or to make it look better than what "god gave me", I'm getting it corrected because it changed after a collision that occurred when I was a kid. An accident that caused me health problems day in and day out. But the problem didn't become obvious til my teens, so until then I had no idea it was broken. When my nose would run or I'd have difficulty breathing, I though I had asthma or something. I was often prescribed nasal medicines that would only work temporarily. People were always asking me if I'm sick because I'd have to wipe my nose all the time because it was constantly running. And for the past 3 years, my nasal bridge would start hurting. I mean HURTING. I would have to lie down or take pain pills. I thought it might've been because of the braces or the retainers afterthefact, my teeth getting accustomed to their new position or shifting when I got too lazy to wear them, but the pain I'd encounter when I wore braces or retainers would be in my teeth and slowly effect the rest of my head. This pain only partook in my nose, the bridge at that, ONLY. When I place my fingers on it it feels out of place and I can feel where the bridge expands and doesn't meet the tip. It doesn't correlate. My nasal passages are also much wider.

I looked at pictures of myself from before the accident and all throughout the years, as well as pictures of my brothers. Their nose looked pretty much the same; mine expanded overtime. It became so obvious in pictures. I'd have to model my nose a certain way or "suck it in" to make it less noticeable. And when that wasn't possible I just deleted the pic coz I couldn't bare to look at it.

It took me a while to go through the list of surgeons because I literally looked them all up. I like being well-informed, especially with something this serious and risky. I definitely can't afford to with someone who wasn't qualified. But I'm glad I did. I found out one of the surgeons apparently has a history of malpractice in another state and had some doctor friends back him up so he can get away with it. That is definitely someone I do not want working on me lol I finally made a decision and chose a surgeon that also performs corrections to facial trauma. I got so excited when I read though his website and found out that with most cases he can also perform surgeries on the same day as the consultation. I always thought I'd be having to wait a really long time before getting these surgeries because every blog I read they have to wait quite a while, but I don't have braces anymore so maybe I wont have to go through that. I can only hope. Anywho, I'm just really excited and nervous altogether and after suffering for so long I just want to get this over with! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment