Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Braceface is temporary

I really don't know why so many people whine about getting braces. I mean, I understand the gist of it: You don't want to have metal in your mouth for 2 years, they're unattractive, they're uncomfortable, they're painful, etc. I had them when I was 16 so I felt the same way prior to getting them.

But people need to see the bigger picture here: These discomforts will only last a couple of years! Once you get them off the results are SO worth it and they'll last a lifetime! I'm actually really glad I got braces when I did and if I had to get them again I wouldn't even hesitate.

A former friend of mine is such a pessimist. She just can't weight the good and the bad. The bad is literally ALL she focuses on. It's pretty discouraging to deal with someone like that constantly so I'm glad I don't have to anymore. Her teeth were pretty straight until her wisdom teeth came in and crowded them. She suffered pain from them for years. By the time she was able to get just 2 of them removed they had already caused a lot of damage. Her teeth are no longer perfectly straight and she hopes no dentist tells her she has to get braces. She's actually hoping her teeth will realign on their own. As much as we'd all love that, unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I tried to tell her all the great benefits of having braces but like I said before, the bad is the only things she can focus on so no amount of bright sides or convincing will work.

So many jaw surgery blogs I've read, the person had to get braces for the second time and while they dread the discomfort they're certainly not opposing it. Wonder why. My teeth weren't really very crooked when I got braces, but when I got them off I noticed quite a difference and was very glad  I went through this.

My advice to anyone getting braces is that I know how you feel about them. Believe me, I went through it. Try not to focus too much on the discomfort or how you'll look, because after a few weeks adjustment you'll barely even notice they're there. You'll get used to them and so will everyone around you. After a while they tend to blend in with everything else on your face. (If you're a girl, I read a study in a magazine when I had them that some boys even find them attractive and want to kiss a girl with braces ;). Time flies so 2 years will go by quicker than you think. Think about how you'll look and feel when you finally get them off. How straight your teeth will be. Your beautiful smile of pearly whites. The perfect bite. When you look back you'll see braces as one of the greatest investments you've ever made. I promise you it'll be worth it :)





No comments:

Post a Comment