Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Orthodontist appointment

I went to my Orthodontist appt today and I felt like a kid with braces again lol He took a look at my teeth and said the small gap was no problem and he was surprised my retainers still fit so well after 8 years. He gave me some "C" elastics to place in my front teeth to close the gap and adjusted my retainers to make them tighter. I have to wear them every night now and he'll check them again next month.

He also went over my optional oral surgery. He had explained to me I had a mandibular asymmetry which is where my midlines don't align and my surgery would've been to have my bottom jaw realigned.


He didn't mention my top jaw at all but I also didn't get a chance to ask. I think I'll write up a list of questions for him for next time so I don't forget. He did give me a referral for an oral surgeon and a list of surgeons to chose from. I think I'll ask him about my top jaw in the next appt or when I speak to the surgeon.

These are some pics of my bite I took last year. My teeth look the same now as they do here. You can see that my midline asymmetry is off and my front teeth slant forward a little. I think that bothers me a little more than the mandibular asymmetry.


He told me some of the headaches I've had and jaw pains could be a cause of TMJ. Any kind of misalignment in the skeletal structure is going to cause problems to how you perform, even if it's the slightest bit. What bothers me most isn't the headaches or the clicking but the speech problems and my profile.

In this diagram you can see examples of jaw misalignments. A is a regular aligned jaw and B is what I have.


You can see how much of a difference it makes. C is an overbite and D is an underbite.

No comments:

Post a Comment